Goodleburg Cemetery

Goodleburg Cemetery – 2013

It is said that Dr. Goodleberg performed illegal abortion s then burying the newborn & patient that didn’t survive the procedure

behind his home located on a small hill overlooking the cemetery

5/2013 Memorial Day Parade in Wales Ctr.

JT Cashmore, Ian Ginnick                                                                                                                       Chris Gowanlock, Cheryl Ciapa, Tim Hausauer, Nate Damon

2011 – Ken Brown

Ken Brown from The Field of Dreams Christmas Tree Farm, donates the Hot Coco money to the fire company every year.

2011 – Ken Brown of Field of Dreams hot coco girl donates a check to the South Wales Fire Company treasurer Cheryl Ciapa.

2008 Fire Driil with Wates Ctr.

Dave Benedict learning how to exit a window.                              Dave Benedict coming out the window                                          How to chop a hole in the roof.

Jeff McMullen breaking a window                                                                              Jeff McMullen

2008 Fire Prevention

Chief Mike McClure demonstrates how to put on SCBA equipment.                                            Brian Greeson explaining first aid in the ambulance

Brian Greeson, Ed Kibler

Ed Kibler letting the children use the fire hose.

2007 Rope Climbing Drill

Dave Benedict                                                                                                                 Cheryl Ciapa, Kathy Rose

Cheryl Ciapa, Brian Greeson

2007 Chicken BBQ

Paul Rose mixing the coleslaw for the chicken BBQ                                                          Bill Reed checking the chicken

2006 Fire in the wood on Warner Hill in Wales Ctrt.

RJ Bragg on #5                                                                                                   Cheryl Ciapa, Brian Greeson, Mike McClure, Marty O’Connor, Jeff McMullen

Cleaning up & loaning the hose back onto #5

Herb Evans

Herb Evans giving demonstration to St. Mary’s

School for the Deaf

Herb Evans

Herb Evans lived on Warner Hill Rd.

1983 Tanker #5

September 1983 – South Wales Fire Company has a new Tanker Truck #5.

This truck holds 3000 gallons of water. This truck is called The Camel.

1966 – RT 400 started

After several years of planning and a great deal of political debate about which path the new highway would

taker, construction of the Aurora Expressway (Route 400) from the NYS Thruway near Buffalo to South

Wales began in 1966. Original plans called for the highway to pass around the west side of the village of East

Aurora, but it ultimately ended up on the east side. A support beam is maneuvered around a tight corner at

Main and Olean Streets during construction.  The Globe Hotel can be seen in the background.

Cranes are used to lift the beams into place on top of the bridge piers in 1969. The ribbon was

cut in September 1971. The expressway drastically cut the amount of time it took motorists to

get to Buffalo, and it quickly became a busy

commuter route.

1951 Fire Truck #1

 

October 1951, the South Wales Fire Company has a new John Bean fire truck #1. This was

rolled over and needed extensive collision work. It had a 1952 cab installed on it.

The Gow School Early Yrs.

1940 – The Gow School Main Building

1950 – The Gow School Cornwall Building

1950 – The Gow School Ellis Building

1950 – The Gow School – Admissions Building

The Gow School the early years

 

1920’s Emery Park

Members of the Erie County Board of Supervisors and Park  Commissioners meet outside  the Emery Inn at

Emery Park in the late 1920’s  to officially reopen the building after an extensive remodeling project. The Inn,

once part of the Emery pioneer homestead, was later used as a museum and restaurant.

blacksmith – Johnny Allen

Working on horse shoes. At the turn of the century, the local blacksmith was the car repair technician of the day. Johnny Allen

who had the shop in the Town of South Wales, works on some horse shoeing.

1800’s over looking the Emery Rd.

The residence and mills of L.C. Cormwall are shown here as they were in the mid 1800’s. Before 1850 and for

more than half a century, Lyman Cornwall operated a sawmill  and gristmill on Emery Rd. in South Wales.

This later became the site of Gow School. Cornwall was Aurora’s town supervisor from 1876 to 1878.