11/2015 The Gow School – Old Art Building

This is the old Art building at The Gow School. This was originally a barn, then a

chapel for the school, then class rooms & then an art class room. 11/2015 this building

was taken down.

12/2014 Christmas Cheer Baskets

The South Wales Fire Company every year makes up baskets and delivers them to

residents in our fire district who have lost a loved one, illness, hardship.

Goodleburg Cemetery

Goodleburg Cemetery – 2013

It is said that Dr. Goodleberg performed illegal abortion s then burying the newborn & patient that didn’t survive the procedure

behind his home located on a small hill overlooking the cemetery

The Gow School

Admission

Cornwall Building

Dinning Hall and Gow Center

Green Cottage

Whitcomb Building

Warner House

Orton Building

Herb Evans

Herb Evans giving demonstration to St. Mary’s

School for the Deaf

Herb Evans

Herb Evans lived on Warner Hill Rd.

Corner Store

Taking the store apart that was on the Corner of Olean Rd. & Emery Rd.

1966 – RT 400 started

After several years of planning and a great deal of political debate about which path the new highway would

taker, construction of the Aurora Expressway (Route 400) from the NYS Thruway near Buffalo to South

Wales began in 1966. Original plans called for the highway to pass around the west side of the village of East

Aurora, but it ultimately ended up on the east side. A support beam is maneuvered around a tight corner at

Main and Olean Streets during construction.  The Globe Hotel can be seen in the background.

Cranes are used to lift the beams into place on top of the bridge piers in 1969. The ribbon was

cut in September 1971. The expressway drastically cut the amount of time it took motorists to

get to Buffalo, and it quickly became a busy

commuter route.

The Gow School Early Yrs.

1940 – The Gow School Main Building

1950 – The Gow School Cornwall Building

1950 – The Gow School Ellis Building

1950 – The Gow School – Admissions Building

The Gow School the early years

1927 – South Wales Baseball Team

South Wales baseball players pose for a team picture before a game in 1927. Baseball teams

became a source of community pride in the hamlets and villages  of Aurora and surrounding

towns.

1920’s Emery Park

Members of the Erie County Board of Supervisors and Park  Commissioners meet outside  the Emery Inn at

Emery Park in the late 1920’s  to officially reopen the building after an extensive remodeling project. The Inn,

once part of the Emery pioneer homestead, was later used as a museum and restaurant.

1918 – South Wales Fair

1918 – South Wales Fair Days – South Wales Red Cross marching in the parade. The Fairs days ran from 1917-1966.

1914 brick road from EA to SW

1914 a brick road was built from East Aurora to South Wales

1920’s on one very hot summer day, the road buckled on Olean Rd. near Blakeley Corners Rd.

blacksmith – Johnny Allen

Working on horse shoes. At the turn of the century, the local blacksmith was the car repair technician of the day. Johnny Allen

who had the shop in the Town of South Wales, works on some horse shoeing.

1800’s over looking the Emery Rd.

The residence and mills of L.C. Cormwall are shown here as they were in the mid 1800’s. Before 1850 and for

more than half a century, Lyman Cornwall operated a sawmill  and gristmill on Emery Rd. in South Wales.

This later became the site of Gow School. Cornwall was Aurora’s town supervisor from 1876 to 1878.